Review overall substation concept design and work with PV engineers to optimize design details for DC electrical design
We are partnered with a reputable and nationally recognized construction company on a PV Design & Commissioning Manager position. This role is focused on utility-scale solar development projects. The candidate can be located in either Minneapolis, Denver, Orlando, or in a Texas metro area. This is not a remote position.
- Reviewing overall substation concept design and works with substation and PV engineers to co-ordinate the flow of information and optimize design details.
- Supervising, directing, coaching, training and mentoring direct and indirect reports.
- Participating in estimates to secure new work including in renewable energy
- Reviewing overall concept design, detailed layout and DC electrical design
- Assisting with performing concept designs for feasibility and tendering in pre-contract stages and detailed design in the execution phase
- Reviewing and understanding the contract and subcontracts, including understanding risk and risk mitigation plans.
- Managing design development with external design consultants as well as the commissioning program.
- Assisting with troubleshooting during PV and HV testing and performance testing during commissioning
- Working with local utilities and grid operators with the development of connection and energization documentation
- Assisting with development of manuals and commissioning plans documentation
- Attending site walks, commissioning kick-off meetings and training sessions, and provide technical assistance during project execution as required.
- Assisting with project administration correspondence and complies with documentation requirements relevant to solar farm installation and construction projects.
- Identifying and discerning root causes associated with non-conformances and reports to project team.
- Providing input on schedule development and implementation to the project team
- Identifying success stories and lessons learned and sharing with estimating and project team for continuous project life cycle improvement.
- Understanding and actively managing client project-specific success criteria (CPSSC); specifically understanding owners’ business, requirements, and revenue generation and provides solutions.
- 7 - 10 years of progressive electrical experience with at least 2 years of experience in utility-scale solar project construction
- Strong knowledge of utility-scale solar construction industry
- Knowledge of project construction law and building codes
- Strong planning, organizational, and time management skills with the ability to multitask and priorities direct report tasks for prompt execution
- Ability to manage project budgets, create and schedule a project.
- Understanding of contracts and subcontracts
- Ability to identify and manage risk and opportunities on solar construction projects
- Understanding of insurance, bonding, and legal requirements.
- Ability to monitor and forecast trade resources for possible schedule impact and direct accordingly
- Experience with the identification of installation priorities to trade contractors and preparation of schedules
- Ability to manage and lead the start-up commissioning process.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing a strong safety culture.
- Experience and understanding of the change process in relation to cost/pricing and schedule impact, with the ability to track system related change orders
- Ability to travel for out of town commissioning projects