Interaction Designer / User Researcher - Contract - ACT Based
Open To: Baseline Security Holders
Multiple positions are available to support ongoing major projects across the Corporate and Digital Division.
The role will be responsible for driving a human-centric approach to service delivery, with a focus on understanding customer, business, and technology needs and balancing these to deliver effective digital services. This is an opportunity to play an integral part in the transformation of government services to deliver fast, simple and user-centric services for government and the public.
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to work on the following projects:
- A high-profile cross-agency program of work, part of the government’s deregulation agenda, with the aim to help make it easier for businesses to take on an employee. The major deliverable is the design and development of an online tool which will guide employers to generate an employee agreement/contract.
- Delivering ongoing service improvements, features, and enhancements to the business.gov.au website, as well as developing new products under the business.gov.au umbrella.
- Contributing to multiple departmental digital initiatives, and pubic-facing and internal services , as part of agile multi-disciplinary teams, in the Corporate and Digital Division. We are seeking an experienced User Experience Designer / User Researcher who will work as part of multi-disciplinary teams to advise, plan, conduct, and lead user research activities and help ensure new products, and service improvements are designed to meet user needs. The successful candidate will be working in a talented and motivated team, including a Front End Developer / User Interface designer. Teams will be primarily co-located in Industry House in Canberra, and will work using agile software development methods. You will work closely with others in the team to:
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team, to help define a minimum viable product (MVP) that can be deployed, iterated and improved to add additional value, based on user feedback.
- Lead user research activities to understand user needs and inform decision-making, taking the lead in identifying appropriate research questions and methods, planning and undertaking a range of quantitative and qualitative research, and synthesising findings into actionable insights.
- Effectively scope, plan, and recruit participants for research and usability testing activities.
- Develop design artefacts including user journey maps, experience maps, task analysis, wireframes, and interactive prototypes of proposed solutions to communicate findings effectively to numerous stakeholders, including team members, product owners and executives.
- Work closely with the team’s User Interface Designer to develop interface components in alignment with existing design systems and contribute to the growth of the design system.
- Generate ideas and iteratively design system components, user pathways, information architecture, navigation, and the experience language of services, ensuring a balance between user needs, business objectives, and feasibility of proposed solutions.
- Conduct Co-Design and collaborative workshops, to re-frame problems into opportunities, generate ideas, and run design experiments (in order to validate, test, and iterate on service solutions).
- Track and measure service improvements to discerning impact and delivery of value to customers and the organisation.
- Be a team player with the ability to contribute to a positive team culture of learning, continuous improvement and collaboration. They must also be flexible with a willingness to cross skill and provide assistance to the team as required in an agile environment.
- Experience working within an IT delivery team
- Data Analysis capability
- Tertiary Qualifications in a design-related discipline (Human Factors, Systems Design, Psychology, Computer Interaction, etc.)
Essential Selection Criteria
- Demonstrates relevant experience leading, planning, and undertaking qualitative and quantitative user research activities and overseeing expert advice from multiple sources, to provide coherent advice to further organisational objectives.
- Experience in mapping, synthesising research, developing insights, and clearly articulating and presenting findings to inform and drive decision, through the development of user journey’s, experience maps, and customer storyboards.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of human factors with relevant experience in managing bias within research and a genuine interest in understanding human needs and behaviours.
- Demonstrated experience providing direction and leading multi-disciplinary design teams in the prototyping and delivery of minimal viable products/services within the confines of a Design System, including developing value propositions, service principles, user flows, layouts, information architecture, and navigation in accordance with accessibility guidelines (WCAG 2.0).
- An influential communicator with demonstrated experience leading co-design and collaborative workshops with various stakeholders, and a proven ability to break down barriers and effect change - facilitating consensus for decision-making, and instilling creative confidence for generation, evaluation, and refinement of diverse ideas.