An exciting opportunity to grow your career in local government on picturesque Kangaroo Island.
- Live, work and play in a world class destination
- Pivotal role that contributes to Council's strategic plan & objectives
- Attractive salary package and relocation allowance
Kangaroo Island remains an Australian tourism mecca, globally recognised for its clean, green primary produce and iconic landscapes. An Island of immense natural beauty with a relatively small regional population, Kangaroo Island is Australia’s third largest island and fourth most recognised tourism destination in Australia.
It’s an exciting time for the Kangaroo Island Council post the devastating bushfires, embarking on rebuilding the Island and a Council redesign with a view to deliver exemplary community services.
About the Role
Reporting to the Director of Community Development, the Environmental Health Officer is responsible for the provision of administrative and technical advice to Council to enable it to fulfil its functions in accordance with statutory obligations, operational procedures and Council policies.
The Environmental Health Officer is an integral member of the Development and Environmental Services team, and a key liaison between Statutory and Government bodies and the Kangaroo Island Community.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage and respond to correspondence from residents/ratepayers in respect to complaints and enquiry matters that relate to the administrative function of Environmental Health
- Process and approve on-site Wastewater Works for the disposal of sewage and sullage within statutory time constraints and delegated authority from Council
- Coordinate and undertake the pump-out of all onsite wastewater units connected to the Council CWM Schemes, and prepare the EOI, contract and engagement with the contractor
- Process and approve food premises applications and undertake regular food inspections in accordance with risk assessments
- Undertake inspections and investigations of all matters required by legislation administered by Environmental Health in accordance with authority delegated or with directions issued by Council or SA Health.
- Liaise with officers employed by Council and relevant Government departments and agencies as required
- Attend Council meetings as requested by the Chief Executive Officer, Director Community Development and/or Council and provide advice and reports as requested
- Maintain copies of legislation and policies administered by Environmental Health and ensure registers and records relative to Environmental Health are kept up to date.
- High level interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage time, plan and prioritise projects and tasks
- Ability to negotiate, consult and resolve conflict
- A self-starter with sound judgement and the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders
- Proven experience in assessing food premises, environmental pollutants, nuisances, wastewater treatment installations and other relevant areas to environmental and public health
- Experience managing onsite Wastewater systems including plumbing and drainage inspections
- Knowledge and understanding of pollution control and sustainable development
- A tertiary qualification in Environmental Health and/or experience as an authorised officer as required by legislation.
This is an exceptional opportunity to support the future of one of Australia’s finest food, wine, agriculture, and tourism destinations and enjoy the relaxed lifestyle that Kangaroo Island has to offer.
If this sounds like you, click Apply Now or for a confidential conversation please call Nicole Marshall on (08) 8273 9347. For a copy of the Position Description, please email email@example.com