Lead and support the development and management of Biosafety & Containment Programme, working within a highly accomplished and committed team
- Rare opportunity to work in a 'state of the art' National Biocontainment Lab
- Lead, manage and improve the Biological Risk Management System
- Excellent career progression!
The Ministry for Primary Industries is the public service department of New Zealand charged with overseeing, managing and regulating the farming, fishing, food, animal welfare, biosecurity, and forestry sectors of New Zealand's primary industries. The National Animal Health Laboratory is an integral part of the Ministry for Primary Industries. It is responsible for providing veterinary diagnostic testing capability to allow the diagnosis or rule out of suspect exotic diseases and pests affecting animals, and the provision of cost-recovered diagnostic services to third parties. Accordingly, the new laboratory operates at the highest level of Biocontainment in New Zealand and has been built to world leading standards for biosafety.
The position of Biosecurity Officer is responsible for ensuring the biosafety systems incorporating facilities, equipment, protocols and staff are operating effectively. Your have consistent focus on improvement, where you will be committed to developing and refining the biological risk management system, which is critical for the MPI as well as managing our country’s biosecurity.
Key responsibilities of this role will include;
- Lead, manage and improve the biological risk management system.
- Review and implement processes to ensure appropriate levels of containment and biosafety are maintained.
- Train, coach and work collaboratively with management and staff to foster a culture of effective risk management.
- Provision of expert advice relating to biosafety and biosecurity to MPI and external stakeholders.
- Operate, and instruct others in the safe operation of key biosafety and containment related equipment and methods.
- Lead projects to investigate and implement improved methods and understanding of biosafety within the laboratory.
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Microbiology/Biosafety or a similar biological field with strong experience in managing biosafety within an animal/human infectious disease research/containment facility.
- Knowledge and experience of microbiological laboratories and working with infectious organisms and their containment.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant national and international standards and regulations and demonstrated ability to comply with these.
- A qualification in Biosafety is highly desirable with an in-depth understanding of microbiological security concepts.
- Experience working within a quality assurance system.
- Proven experience in coaching and mentoring large teams to influence behaviour, including development and implementation of Process Improvement initiatives.
- Intuitive and logical problem-solving skills where you are competent in making and enforcing informed decisions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills at all levels of the business whilst consistently upholding the organisation’s values and ethics.
This exciting role is highly critical to the organisation’s commitment to Biosafety, Assurance and Surveillance programme. Accordingly, it will be awarded by an excellent remuneration package. To learn more about this outstanding opportunity, apply today with a CV and Cover letter in WORD format only, quoting job number 09/2011/PB or call Pavan on (+64) 9 5255520 for a confidential discussion.