Our client is a leading logistics and freight distribution company. They are currently looking for a CONTROLLER located in Calgary, Alberta that reports to the President/CEO. This individual will provide leadership and coordination of company financial planning, debt financing and budget management functions and to ensure that company accounting systems and procedures conform to generally accepted accounting principles. This position offers significant complexity and challenge considering the international scope of our business and the breadth of its operating entities.
- Direct and manage the company’s financial planning including preparation of annual budgets, budget analysis, financial outlooks and financial forecasts
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and systems, including general ledger and financial reporting
- Direct all aspects of accounting operations, overseeing all transactions related to general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll and financial reporting to meet corporate objectives
- Protect and preserve company assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls
- Identify and recommend benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance of divisions
- Manage, monitor and analyze monthly and quarterly operating results against budget
- Prepare and distribute monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reports
- Ensure financial reporting and filing comply with provincial and federal requirements
- Monitor and keep current with all finance-oriented industry and government regulations
- Build and maintain relationships with financial stakeholders and partners, legal counsel, IT and insurance providers
- Design and maintain effective organizational structure and staffing to accomplish the company’s strategic priorities.
- Establish and implement short and long-term business goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures
- Provide oversight and lead, coach, mentor and evaluate finance and administration team
- Actively participate in setting, implementing and measuring strategic objectives at the executive level
- Oversight and guidance of corporate IT functions
- A bachelor's degree in business administration, economics, commerce or a related field is required
- Professional accounting designation (CA, CMA or CGA) required
- Significant breadth of accounting experience including auditing, budgeting, financial planning and analysis including five years in a senior Finance role
- Strong knowledge and capability with complex, multi-company financial consolidation
- Experience at the head office of an international company is an asset (multiple legal entities,currencies,banking
- Strong knowledge and abilities with operating systems and experience in planning new implementations with operating systems and ERP related systems is an asset.
- Ability to lead and motivate teams to produce quality results within tight timeframes
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and work independently
- Detail oriented with demonstrated ability for accuracy.
- Professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Access)