Sr Mechanical Design Engineer
Our client is well respected industrial and heavy equipment manufacturer. The Design Engineer III will be reporting to the Manager of Product Engineering and their primary role is to assist with development projects by utilizing unique and in-depth technical engineering knowledge, skills, and related experience to provide product design solutions to advanced problems, and efficiently transferring those ideas into production. This role is non-managerial with no direct reports.
Design & Engineering
- Conceptualizes sophisticated designs and analyzes/selects materials and processes.
- Performs engineering calculations or other analysis and coordinate FEA when appropriate.
- Performs component and machine cost analysis.
- Researches and understands the applicable industry and government standards (CE, UL, etc.)
- Creates models and drawings in the appropriate CAD software.
- Utilizes developed project management, FEA, hydraulics, and electrical skills to work through the projects.
- Works with cross functional departments and suppliers to ensure assigned duties within projects meet the time line, project cost, performance, quality, and safety requirements.
- May serve as the technical leader for small to mid-sized projects.
- Researches and understands the basic requirements of appropriate manufacturing standards for components, sub-assemblies, and machines.
- Supports the creation of machine documentation (manuals, labels, literature)
- Produces and reviews drawings, performs bolted joint design, tolerance stack-up, geometric tolerancing, FMEAs, and hazard analysis.
- Compiles information for writing ECNs, creates and maintains BOMs.
- Effectively communicates on a technical and non-technical level with members of other departments, suppliers and outside design houses and consultants.
- May speak at various technical forums.
- Provides production support through quality notifications and deviations.
- Works with Product Support and Quality Assurance to improve machine warranty rates and resolve customer issues.
- Is the engineering contact for specific technology, machine, or assembly line.
- In collaboration with Research & Development, creates test plans.
- Evaluates results and determines/coordinates appropriate engineering action
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering is required
- A minimum of 10 years of design engineering experience in a manufacturing environment
- Proficient 2D and 3D CAD skills
- Willing to learn NX Software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer skills including Word, Excel and PowerPoint