Under the general direction of the Construction Manager, the Contracts Manager leads, manages and is accountable for estimating, budgeting, contractin
CONTRACTS MANAGER – WASAGA BEACH, ON
Under the general direction of the Construction Manager, the Contracts Manager leads, manages and is accountable for estimating, budgeting, contracting and procurement for the home construction team.
You will be working daily with Superintendents, construction coordinators, a centralized finance & accounting department, outside vendors and trade partners.
You will be supervising a team, while managing trade partner and supplier relationships.
What’s in it for you:
- A career opportunity with a national company that is on the leading edge of the industry
- A benefit package which includes a cell phone, a pension plan, and many other perks
- A chance to work with like-minded individuals who celebrate each other’s success
- A chance to learn, and work in a unique and growing market, unlike any other
You are a natural leader, motivator, and organizer. Your experience and know-how enable you to provide strong leadership and support to cross-functional teams. You believe in prompt and responsive service, but you aren’t afraid to have tough conversations when necessary.
What you bring to the table:
You have solid construction background, and have the ability to analyze job cost variance data and take corrective actions. You are able to manage the pre-construction job package routing and processing. You are an experienced software user, can process data, and communicate effectively.
What you will be doing:
Estimating / Budgeting
- Produce and maintain base budgets (direct construction costs) per model type for each project;
- Maintain Options & Upgrades Library; both the costs and offering;
- Review, qualify and contract with trade partners and suppliers;
- Negotiate prices, including terms and model home discounts, with all trade partners and participate in negotiation of rebates from manufacturers and trade partners;
- Solicit quotations from outside trades on a routine basis to confirm competitive rates and contracts as well as ‘build’ a robust trade/supplier roster;
- Maintain accurate standard specifications and scopes of work for each trade partner;
- Establish standard operating procedures for contracting/procurement, monitor effectiveness and make improvements to those procedures.
- Manage department's resources, including budget
- Handle accounts payable issues with vendors when necessary.
- Hire, train, motivate and terminate when necessary, all P&E personnel.
- Take direct actions re: non-performing trade contractors from time to time.
- Train all company's personnel in the principles of customer service and in recognizing that "great" service often requires a "shocking level of response".
- Communicate and project the “I am Parkbridge” attitude to all customers and employees through all forms of communication (writing, verbal, appearance).
- Conduct personnel growth reviews, quarterly, for all Purchasing & Estimating personnel.
- Conduct weekly Purchasing & Estimating team meetings. The most important agenda items are resource scheduling, permits and purchase order scheduling and review of the excavation schedule to ensure positive impact to the construction schedule.
- Attend and participate in regular management meetings
- Conduct budget reviews on a monthly basis for the purposes of supporting retail pricing reviews;
- Produce weekly projected profit reports for jobs sold or spec homes released the prior week;
- Maintain costing files for each trade partner through the development and maintenance of a costing library;
- Participate in corporate budgeting program;
- Participate in design reviews with the goal to minimize budget variances, identify gaps in Scopes of Work, and avoid repetitive errors;
- Monitor variance purchase orders with goal to reduce cost slippage;
- Monitor bulletins from suppliers and maintain communication with trade partners to ensure offering in design/presentation centre is up to date;
- Continually research for innovative products, techniques, and monitor trends and changes in the home building industry;
- Provide strong, consistent support to Superintendents, Construction Manager and Production Team.
- Direct cost per square foot
- Job cost variance from budget on estimating variance codes.
- Number of VPOs written per job (average) for period.
- Direct construction costs as a percentage of sales revenue or sales price.
- Timeliness of completion of quarterly growth reviews.
- Employee turnover rate
- Trade turnover rate
- Timeliness of purchase order issuance.
- Job start schedule adherence
- Adherence to department's overhead expense budget.
Community is at the heart of who we are at Parkbridge. Together as a team, we share a passionate belief in the building vibrant communities and resort destinations.
As a global housing award-winner and Canada’s leading developer, builder, owner-operator, residential land lease communities and resorts, Parkbridge has expertise and a portfolio of properties unparalleled in Canada.
Since 1998 we have expanded from just two properties with a few dedicated employees to more than 100 properties and 1,100 passionate team members across Canada – and counting! With this growth, comes a dynamic and evolving work environment with a unique opportunity for teamwork, personal development and challenge.
We are the people behind the memories. That is why we proudly say with one voice: “I am Parkbridge”.
Please note that applicants must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal and credit background check.
No phone calls please. Only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that applications for this position may be kept on file for 6 months and may be considered for future opportunities within Parkbridge.
Accommodations for persons with disabilities will be provided, on request, to support candidate participation in all aspects of the recruitment process. To request accommodation, please contact Human Resources.